The English primary programme caters to students in Year 1 through to Year 6. We follow an International curriculum that is modelled on Australian, US and UK standards. The English programme is designed as such so there is gradual development and improvement of all the language skills (Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening) with core subjects including English, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
The programme also includes peripheral subjects like ICT (Information and Communication Technology), PE (Physical Education), Art, Music and Dance.
Our English primary curriculum focuses on learning areas that include:
- learning to listen to, read, view, speak, write, create and reflect on spoken, written and multimodal texts across a growing range of contexts with accuracy, fluency and purpose
- appreciate, enjoy and use the English language in all its variations and develop a sense of its richness and power to evoke feelings, convey information, form ideas and facilitate interaction with others
- becoming increasingly confident, creative users and communicators of mathematics that are able to investigate, represent and interpret situations in students’ personal lives
- develop an understanding of mathematical concepts and fluency with process
- taking an interest in science as a means of expanding curiosity and a willingness to explore, ask questions about and speculate on the changing world we live in
- developing an understanding of the vision that science provides of the nature of living things, of the Earth and its place in the cosmos
The primary curriculum sufficiently prepares all of our students for a smooth transition into secondary education.
The Lao primary programme is offered to all of our students from Year 1 to Year 5 and its curriculum is set by the Lao Ministry of Education (MOE). The core subjects of the Lao curriculum include Language and Literature, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Lao Culture and Ethics.
At the end of the Year 5 our students sit for their final exam which is overseen by the MOE and qualifies students to continue their education in a secondary school Lao programme.